We believe in one God—the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
Our Mission Statement
Go … make disciples, baptize them, and teach them.
History of the Church
The Church of the Nazarene is a world-wide evangelistic organization that takes seriously Christ’s Great Commission recorded in Matthew 28:19-20. Jesus said, “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I [Jesus] have commanded you.”
The Iowa City Church of the Nazarene began with a mid-week prayer meeting in 1925. It was officially organized in the summer of 1926 with six charter members. The church met and worshipped in the homes of two of the members until a chapel on Fairchild Street was rented. Still later, services were held in the Lecture Room of the University of Iowa Old Chemistry Building. In time the church purchased permanent quarters on Walnut Street where it met until 1946. At that time the church purchased the First Baptist Church, located on the corner of Clinton and Burlington Streets. They shared the church with the Baptist congregation for a period of 5 years, getting full possession in 1951. In 1952 the church was remodeled and a new Hammond Organ was installed. In 1960 the church building was sold to an oil company and construction of the present church began in December of that year. The new church building, located at 1035 Wade Street, was completed in June of 1961 at the total cost of $67,000. On December 10, 1961, Dr. G. B. Williamson, General Superintendent of the International Church of the Nazarene, assisted by Dr. Gene E. Phillips, Iowa District Superintendent, dedicated the new church. An attached fellowship building was added in 1973.
The church has been blessed with the ministry of 20 different pastors throughout its history. From 1947-1951, under the ministry of Rev. Wendell Wellman, the church aired a live radio broadcast. For many years it supported an active bus ministry. It has spawned many pastors, missionaries, and lay leaders.
In 2002, under the leadership of Pastor Michael Lynch, the church launched a new vision for “embracing our community.” This vision and leadership led to the birth of two new churches, First African Nazarene Church and Camino de Santidad. New mission churches were also started including Unidos en Cristo, Chinese Community Fellowship, Infuse, and Open Door which are all active partners with the Greater Iowa City Church of the Nazarene. In 2005, we launched ICCompassion, a separate nonprofit, to respond to community needs. ICCompassion is a partnering organization committed to serving our community. In 2015, we elected our first corporate board that includes 2 representatives from each partnering church to oversee the Greater Iowa City Church of the Nazarene.
We continue to seek to fulfill the Great Commission in the world that God has entrusted us with. We give Him all the glory!
1926-1929 Rev. Lola B. Carter
1929-1930 Rev. E. A. Voss
1930-1933 Rev. Emmett M. Nelson
1933-1939 Rev. Charles M. King
1939-1943 Rev. M. Estes Haney
1943-1945 Rev. Paul Summerville
1945-1947 Rev. Walter C. Morris
1947-1951 Rev. Wendall Wellman
1951-1956 Rev. Ira J. Hoover
1956-1959 Rev. G. M. Field
1959-1966 Rev. Harold Keeney
1966-1969 Rev. J. L. Garmon
1969-1975 Rev. R. E. Wilson
1975-1981 Rev. Don Gadbow
1981-1990 Rev. Rick Williamson
1990-1993 Rev. Gary Burkhart
1994-1996 Rev. Roger Davis
1996-2001 Dr. David Sorrel
2002-2017 Rev. Michael Lynch
2018- Rev. Teresa Stecker
Our Ministerial Staff
Open Door Community
Unidos en Cristo
First African Nazarene
Dr. Xiande Hong
Taylor & Stephanie Getting